Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Habit

So, yesterday, around this time, actually, I - once again - started a new character. Inspired by Incompetent Warrior (yes, we do play on the same server, don't know the guy, though) I rolled a warrior. Human female with red hair, goes by the name Swirly. I don't really know what the main focus will be in the long run, but I do hope I'll get a chance to learn how to tank for real. I did try some tanking on the druid, last year, but Oh. My. God. The chaos. The frustration. First time was alright - Sethekk Halls is easy enough - but my second run as a tank was Arcatraz, with a trigger-happy, pugged enhancement shaman. Enough about that, though.

Point is, I leveled as moonkin, and hadn't really taken the time to grow into my feral abilities until I'd been level 70 for about 6 months. I'm hoping that when one plays a warrior, one more frequently ends up in situations where protection abilities get used. See, if I'm in moonkin form, I don't have access to growl, but I should be able to use taunt even if I'm arms or fury. (Right?)

Now, why was I inspired by Incompetent Warrior? Why will it be different this time? Why will Swirly not be stranded somewhere between level 10 and 15 like all my previous warrior alts? The answer is kind of the following: Stuntyone, or the Incompetent Warrior, has a quality that is quite unusual among people who play warriors, or even World of Warcraft. He seems to actually play for the fun of it. Now you're going "What does she mean? Don't we all play for fun? She's deluded or had way too much pie last night", but I'm serious.

What I mean is: He seems to find a lot of pleasure in the MMO part of the game, which is something I've found to be very rare among warriors who actually express their opinions on the warrior class. People call for nerfs, mock everyone else's talent build, hates the itemisation and yadayadayada... The class forum at wow-europe.com is always more or less depressing, and the moment I've tried to find some info there, has in the past been the moment when my latest attempt at the warrior class has halted. Now I have a new strategy: Don't even go there. I've found some builds, and I have them bookmarked, and I've decided to just go for it, and put some trust into my general knowledge of the game. If I get to some kind of high level, 60+, I'll look up ElitistJerks, but for now, I'll try and have some fun :)

And so, that's what Incompetent Warrior does for me: He makes square 1 a happy place, shows the fun in being a warrior, without whining and calling for nerfs for other classes. Kudos to Stuntyone!

Time for breakfast - bought yoghurt yesterday, when I've had some of it, I'll make tea.

No comments: