Thursday, February 19, 2009

Books can lead to frustration. Ask me how!

Last night, and on and off since this morning, I've been camping books in Dalaran. My hunter is missing two books, my druid needs three, and since these girls are on two different accounts, they can camp the book they're both missing together. To make sure my PC doesn't commit suicide I've deactivated all addons on both characters, and have connected my laptop to the router, so I can browse teh internetz to pass the time. Because camping books is boring. Feel free to write that down.

On the other hand, I feel the reward is worth it, and even if the RNG factor is there, it's only a matter of time before you get it. Since I actually got the "Love Fool"-meta achievement done, and hence got all of the candies from the candy bags, I guess a lot of people (who didn't get said achievement) feel that I don't have the right to express my opinion on the Be Mine!-part, but I don't really think they read this blog :D So, here it goes:

If you ask me, it's just as it should be. What people really want out of completing these achievements is ultimately a 310% Violet Proto-drake, and yeah, I'd like that one too. The thing is, as far as I know, there are only three other ways to get a 310% mount (please, correct me if I'm wrong):
  1. Arena. Be a part of a really, really great arena team, and get a super fast drake when the season is over.
  2. PVE. Complete all of the WotLK heroic raid achievements, and get a super fast Black Proto-Drake.
  3. Be incredibly lucky when rolling for an incredibly rare drop from a raid boss not too many people bother to kill these days, and get Ashes of Al'ar.

Piece of cake, eh? Honestly, when the 310% mount takes either a huge amount of skill, or a huge amount of luck on a loot roll to get your hands on, why do so many people seem to take for granted that they "deserve" this status symbol after having simply participated in seasonal events during one year? Reading discussions and arguments regarding this subject, it seems people want a gold medal for just showing up.

Now, some people say that you can't compare RNG with skill-based accomplishments, and while that is true, it isn't what I'm after. These are completely different races, and I believe the only thing they have, or should have in common, is the rarity of the "winners". Not a lot of people will get the Purple Proto within the first year, and I don't think a lot of people are going to get the PVE- or arena equivalents either. Unless you have the time+skill to be great at PVE/arena, it is, in some ways, a big lottery - get over it!

OK, rant-mode off. This book camping thing is leaving me a tiny bit frustrated and bored, which leads to walls of text.

No comments: